A cost-effective, energy-efficient construction system that saves labor, time and cost.
Structural insulated panels are high-quality foam core panels suitable for many residential and commercial building applications. They are solid, one-piece structural components that can be used in walls, floors and roofs. Each panel is made of an Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) core bonded between two outer layers of rugged Oriented Strand Board (OSB).
Structural insulated panels form a strong, versatile building shell that will significantly shorten construction times, compared with conventional building methods. Because of their energy-saving characteristics, they make an extremely cost-effective building material.
Expanded Polystyrene Foam Core
Each panel contains one pound of Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) for every cubic foot of core. Higher densities are available for special applications. Depending on the strength and energy-efficiency your application requires, you can specify four standard thicknesses for your Insulspan panels.
EPS is an inert, stable cellular plastic with superior insulating qualities. Unlike many other foam products, EPS is "ozone-friendly" – no CFCs or HCFC's are used in the production of panels. Other characteristics of EPS include:
- Structural Integrity: EPS retains its shape indefinitely. It will not shrink, decompose or disintegrate due to age or weather.
- Thermal Stability: The insulating value of EPS does not decrease with age.
- Toxicity: EPS is formaldehyde-free.
- Low Water Absorption: EPS has a closed cell structure. Its water absorption level is so low that moisture and the elements will not significantly affect its insulation values.
- Permanence: EPS is an inert, organic material. It provides no nutritive value to plants, animals or microorganisms. It will not rot and is highly resistant to mildew.
- Flammability: Like many construction materials, EPS is combustible. It should not be exposed to flame or other ignition sources. However, you can expect a building made with SIP products to survive a fire that would completely destroy a stick-built home. The panels have passed rigorous fire endurance tests required by national codes, and their solid core construction eliminates the chimney effect caused by hollow stud walls. See technical bulletins for further application information.
Exterior & Interior Skins
The oriented strand board skins on Insulspan structural panels are exterior rated Exposure I by the American Plywood Association (APA). Exterior phenolic resin permits the panels to be used with normal construction delays.
Energy Efficiency & Comfort
Structural Insulated panels decrease cooling and heating costs even more than their high R-rating would seem to indicate, because they form a solid thermal envelope around the structure, uninterrupted by the typical studs, sills or headers. This substantially reduces air infiltration compared with conventional construction techniques. The panels' solid core of insulation also eliminates the convection looping that can occur in the gaps and spaces typical in batt insulation.
Structural Insulated panels provide stable performance year after year. Their efficiency generally allows heating and cooling equipment to be downsized, reducing initial capital costs and operating costs.
Strength & Durability
The strength of Structural Insulated panels has been proven through rigorous structural testing required by national code authorities, plus their actual performance through more than 20 years of use. The beam-like properties of Structural Insulated panels can make them 2-3 times stronger than typical stick-built structures.
Inspections, Ratings & Reports
Complete copies of all research reports and test results are available on request. All SIPS provided by PanelWrights are in full complience with applical building codes and standards.
Limited Lifetime Warranty
Structural Insulated Panels are warranted to endure and not delaminate in normal use for the LIFE OF THE STRUCTURE in which they are installed, if such installation is in full accordance with the manufacturer's instructions and procedures.
|EPS Foam Core
|R-factors* (at 75 degrees)
|(at 25 degrees)